Oracle is second to none when it comes to support options for MySQL 8. From sustained long-term support for a static version, to hands-on consultative support, Oracle provides tremendous value to MySQL Enterprise customers.
Category: Enterprise Features
s Lifetime Support Options for MySQL provide some of the greatest value to MySQL Enterprise customers that go the furthest in justifying the cost of the Enterprise license. Let's take a look at the Lifetime Support option, and then dive deeper into some of the other support that make MySQL Enterprise such a compelling offer.
Oracle Lifetime Support
MySQL Enterprise licensing is an annual subscription. With this subscription, you get Oracle Premier Support for MySQL at no additional cost. Premier Support covers the first five years of the product from the GA date; for MySQL 8, this date is April 2018, so Premier Support will last until April 2023. If you continue to upgrade into newer versions of MySQL (i.e. MySQL 9.0 or whatever the next version is), you will remain in Premier Support mode. However, if you stay on MySQL 8, you will move into Extended Support for years 6-8; from there, you are on Sustained Support for years 9 and above. As you can expect, support levels diminish with each new support level.
Benefits that come with Premier support include:
- 24x7 support
- Unlimited support incidents
- Knowledge Base
- Maintenance Releases, Bug Fixes, Patches, Updates
- Consultative Support
- Commercial Repository
Most of these benefits are accessible through the Oracle Support Portal and are fairly self-explanatory. Let's take a look at two of these in more depth.
Oracle offers its dedicated team of highly experienced MySQL engineers to help walk you through any issues you may have, including:
- Remote troubleshooting of server installation and configuration
- Replication Review for potential flaws in or performance enhancements to your replication configuration
- Partitioning Review to review and optimize your data partitioning strategy according to your workload needs
- Schema Review against your tables, normalization, indexes, columns and storage engine
- Query Review for optimization, index improvements, alternative queries, and MySQL internal or MySQL-specific features
- Customer Code Review of your client API calls, stored procedures or server extensions
Running issues through the support team is a great idea when you're stuck or experiencing problems, as they're there 24x7 to help you, are highly seasoned MySQL veterans, and can usually solve the issue much faster than most.
MySQL Commercial Repository
Oracle maintains a private repository of all download versions stored in their respective package managers, allowing customers to build automated install processes. In a few simple steps, you'll have your own private repository of software that you can access or replicate into your own internal corporate environment. You'll find more information on how to use this here.
Want to know more about MySQL 8.0 Enterprise Support? Reach out with your questions and we'll get them answered for you!